Please fill out our easy to use form below. We will contact you today. Or, call us 24/7 TOLL FREE at 877-934-6274.
[contact-form-7 id="2307" title="Case Evaluation"]

Salmonella Food Poisoning Lawsuit Client Tips

By following a few important steps, you can help medical and legal professionals assist you better when you have suffered from food poisoning. Alternatively, you may find that you need to assist a family member who has contracted a foodborne illness and is unable to follow the advice given here without your help. The important thing is to protect your health and your legal rights, or those of your loved ones.

Put Your Health First:

  • See Your Doctor – If you feel that your physical symptoms are related to the consumption of a food product, or food consumed in a restaurant or in your or someone else’s home, you should contact your doctor. Of course, if you are experiencing severe symptoms you should consult a doctor or visit an emergency room immediately.
  • Report Food Poisoning to Your County Health DepartmentBy reporting your illness to your county health department, you are helping public health officials identify and investigate an outbreak, and prevent others from becoming ill. Their investigation can bring an outbreak to a halt and help determine what went wrong.
  • Your Doctor May Order Medical TestingYour doctor, or the hospital where you are receiving treatment, may ask for a stool sample to identify the foodborne pathogen responsible for your food poisoning symptoms.  A foodborne illness can give rise to other health complications, and in some instances a blood, cerebrospinal fluid, or urine culture may also be ordered by the treating doctor. If a pathogen is identified, additional testing called pulsed field gel electrophoresis (PFGE) can determine if the pathogen that caused your illness is the same strain that has caused a particular outbreak of foodborne illness. PFGE provides a “DNA fingerprint” for the pathogen. It is a powerful epidemiologic tool that can link individual victims (or a food product) to a specific outbreak.
  • Follow your doctor’s adviceYour health is your doctor’s primary concern. By following your doctor’s advice, you not only show your commitment to your well-being, but you also make it possible for your doctor to develop a record of your condition. Do not miss doctor’s appointments. Do not fail to inform your doctor about your symptoms. Always be honest with your doctor; if you cannot remember something, say so.
  • Keep Track of Your RecordsIf you consult a law firm, your attorney may ask you for contact information for all of your doctors, as well as for information regarding any hospital stays, medical bills, and lost wages. Your attorney may also ask for store or restaurant receipts. Remember not to throw any documentation away.

Regarding Your Food Poisoning Legal Case:

  • Talk to Your AttorneyYour attorney is the best person to represent you. It is important that you do not talk to anyone else who asks you for a written or oral statement without first speaking to your attorney.
  • Keep Yourself InformedKeep up-to-date on the status of your case. If you have questions about the timeline of your case, possible outcomes, your role in the ongoing process or any other aspect of your case, do not hesitate to ask your attorney.
  • Know Your RightsYour attorney can help you understand what compensation may be due you as a result of food poisoning. While each case is different, individuals who have suffered from foodborne illnesses have been compensated for their medical expenses, for pain and suffering, and for lost wages, for example.

Obtain a Free Food Poisoning Lawsuit Evaluation

If you or a family member has suffered from food poisoning, and you have a question regarding your legal rights, you can request a free legal case evaluation from The Weinberg Law Firm by calling toll free at 1-877-934-6274. Our phones are answered 24/7.

If you have a case-specific question, or a question regarding our legal services, please select
Contact Weinberg Law Firm. You may also call us 24/7 at our toll free number, 1(877) 934-6274.